Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fresh Air

Well, the past two weeks have been pretty rough. This is literally the first day in the past two weeks that every member of our family has been healthy. Yeah, it's been rough.....to say the least. 


Meet my new best friends....I refuse to have any more illnesses around here. I mean it. We are DONE!

So let me recap a bit-

Week One:
 I got the flu.....and it took me DOWN. I didn't get out of bed for almost an entire week. Thank goodness for my amazing husband, who had to pretty much become a single parent for the week and still managed to take really good care if his sick wife, too. I really am blessed to call this man my husband.....he is the BEST.


Week Two:
 Monday- I still felt pretty rotten, but survived my first day of getting back into our regular routine. I guess that's a start.

Tuesday- I started to feel somewhat better, but was still looking forward to my much-needed afternoon nap. Allie was being a little bit whiny and she told me her stomach hurt....honestly, not that unusual. Then, she wouldn't eat her lunch....Um, Red Flag. Within an hour, my sweet girl was very sick with a stomach virus. Great.

Wednesday- I was pretty much exhausted from being up all night worrying about/checking on my sick child. Thankfully, she slept in late that morning and felt well enough to eat some dry cheerios and a couple bites of banana.



She even felt well enough to paint by lunch time. Check out the mismatched pjs. :)


The whole time she was sick, she kept wanting to take baths. I'm thinking that it just helped her feel "clean".....can't say I blame her.



She even felt well enough to make faces at me. Yeah!!



So, I got her down for her nap on Wednesday afternoon just as Mason was getting home from school. And since his class was having their Valentine's Day celebration at school on Friday (instead of Monday), I decided we'd go ahead and get his valentines done while I had some still had some energy.










Thursday- In the wee hours of the morning, I wake up to a child in our bedroom. (This can't be good.) It's Mason. I ask him what's wrong....like I don't already know....and he tells me, "I think I have that virus." Gotta love how grown-up he is, bless his heart......and yes, he did have "that virus". Here we go again! So, he was pretty pitiful and slept almost ALL day. Allie's stomach still wasn't quite back to normal, so she and I watched movies most of the day. By that night, Mason still had a high fever, so we had to break the news to him that he couldn't go to school on Friday....which meant he had to miss his Valentine's celebration. Brian and I felt so bad for our little man. He was obviously upset that he was going to miss all of the valentines stuff, but he was more upset that he was going to miss a second day of school. He said, "But, I really want to go to school.....it's my favorite place. I love to learn." I love my child.

Friday- Mason gets up at 6:00am and comes into our bedroom to inform me that his stomach is growling "for no reason". I tell him it is growling because he hasn't eaten in 24 hours and get him some saltines. After sending him back to bed, I started to feel queasy. (You have GOT to be kidding me.) You guessed it....now I had the stomach virus. Can't a girl catch a break?? There was no way Brian could leave work to help me with the kids, so the three of us toughed it out. I know I say it all the time, but I am really lucky to have such wonderful children. They were so sweet to me and let me rest most of the day. Thank you Mason and Allie!!!

On a side note- Brian took Mason's valentines to school on his way to work that morning and told his teachers how upset he was about missing another day of "learning". They thought that was hilarious (and were not at all surprised). They sent him home some worksheets that he could do if he felt like it.....he did all of them.


Which brings me to today- Saturday. I woke up this morning and felt better than I have in two weeks....Hallelujah! I was even able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in a while....actually kinda feel refreshed today. Mason and Allie are both feeling better, too, and Brian has hopefully steered clear of this nasty stomach virus (and the flu)....YAY! Today is going to be a GOOD day!!



And it was! We all went to Mason's basketball game this morning, followed by lunch at McAlister's Deli. During lunch, Mason kept complaining about his feet hurting and when we took his shoes off, we realized why. The child had outgrown his shoes....big time! So, we took him down to Goody 2 Shoes and got him some new kicks. He had gone up an entire size and a half....good grief! His new shoes look HUGE to me. 



Then, we headed off to spend the rest of the afternoon at the zoo. It sure was nice to be outside in the warm sunshine for a change!










It's hard to see, but the Koala is snuggling with her baby....the sweetest thing ever!




So, today, we are all thankful for our HEALTHY family......and a bit of fresh air!

0 comments: